Monday, August 29, 2005

Naming of First Born Son

Like the cat, who Thoreau said has three different names, our son also has three different names, each with a special meaning and symbolism.


Benjamin: Benjamin is the youngest of Jacob’s twelve sons and the smallest of the 12 tribes of Israel. Benjamin is a Jew and we welcome him to our faith. We look forward to hearing him ask the four questions, to becoming a Bar Mitzvah, to marrying under the Chupah, and to having children of his own so that he may continue our traditions with honor.


Benjamin means the son of my right hand. The name symbolizes the bond and the connection that our son will have with his mother and with me. He is an extension of our being and through him we will be complete.


Nicholas. Nicholas comes from Claus, my uncle and my mother’s brother. We hope and expect that Benjamin Nicholas will do honor to the name. Nicholas means victory of and for the people. This is Claus, who dedicated his life to public service to better the condition of his peoples.


May Benjamin Nicholas live by the Words of our Fathers:


If I am not for myself who will be for me?

If I am only for myself what am I?

If not now, when?


May Benjamin Nicholas have Claus’s strength of convictions, his persistence and ability to overcome adversity, and his steadfast resolve.


Robke. I am the only male Robke that I know. Our family is one of Greens, Sonins, Cohens, Carrens, Handels, Avilas, Martins, Belsons, and more. I cannot tell you why or how much it means to me that this name will continue. This must be a guy thing, but I really like the company.


Amy and I are so proud of our son. We are proud of our Family. And we are proud that Benjamin Nicholas Robke will be loved and taught by so many wonderful people.


Thank-you for sharing this moment with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment